TV as monitor
Ed Cryer
2012-07-23 15:27:16 UTC
I use a TV for monitor; connected into PC socket with a cable from sound
card into TV socket. It gives a max resolution of 1360x768.
When I use a HDMI cable instead, the resolution goes up dramatically but
there's no sound to the TV speakers. Sound comes through the normal
speakers, though.

Any help will be welcome.

Ed
Max Demian
2012-07-23 22:30:34 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
I use a TV for monitor; connected into PC socket with a cable from sound
card into TV socket. It gives a max resolution of 1360x768.
When I use a HDMI cable instead, the resolution goes up dramatically but
there's no sound to the TV speakers. Sound comes through the normal
speakers, though.
Any help will be welcome.
I haven't got a PC with an HDMI output but it looks as if yours doesn't
output sound through the HDMI.

What if you connect the sound cable as well as the HDMI?
Max Demian
Grimly Fiendish
2012-07-23 22:37:26 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
I use a TV for monitor; connected into PC socket with a cable from sound
card into TV socket. It gives a max resolution of 1360x768.
When I use a HDMI cable instead, the resolution goes up dramatically but
there's no sound to the TV speakers. Sound comes through the normal
speakers, though.
Any help will be welcome.
Ed
Err, as far as i know VGA and HDMI are video only, only Scart includes
sound, i think you'll need to conect connect your audio seperately.
Peter Boulding
2012-07-24 00:42:23 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Err, as far as i know VGA and HDMI are video only, only Scart includes
sound, i think you'll need to conect connect your audio seperately.
Err, HDMI carries linear PCM audio as well as a variety of possible video
standards. Not that either of us has helped the OP.
--
Regards, Peter Boulding
***@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=794240&content=music
Ed Cryer
2012-07-24 19:23:25 UTC
Post by Peter Boulding
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Err, as far as i know VGA and HDMI are video only, only Scart includes
sound, i think you'll need to conect connect your audio seperately.
Err, HDMI carries linear PCM audio as well as a variety of possible video
standards. Not that either of us has helped the OP.
Problem solved by rolling back the Microsoft-supplied audio driver.

Ed
Grimly Fiendish
LOL, so you messed up the sound driver?
Ed Cryer
2012-07-24 19:48:22 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Err, as far as i know VGA and HDMI are video only, only Scart includes
sound, i think you'll need to conect connect your audio seperately.
Err, HDMI carries linear PCM audio as well as a variety of possible video
standards. Not that either of us has helped the OP.
Problem solved by rolling back the Microsoft-supplied audio driver.
Ed
LOL, so you messed up the sound driver?
Well, I simply installed a Windows update that MS in its great wisdom
offered to me. So yes, LOL-a-boy, I did, but I don't feel much self
blame in it,

Would you, in the circumstances?

Ed
Grimly Fiendish
2012-07-24 20:01:23 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Err, as far as i know VGA and HDMI are video only, only Scart includes
sound, i think you'll need to conect connect your audio seperately.
Err, HDMI carries linear PCM audio as well as a variety of possible video
standards. Not that either of us has helped the OP.
Problem solved by rolling back the Microsoft-supplied audio driver.
Ed
LOL, so you messed up the sound driver?
Well, I simply installed a Windows update that MS in its great wisdom
offered to me. So yes, LOL-a-boy, I did, but I don't feel much self blame
in it,
Would you, in the circumstances?
Ed
Well that'll teach you to trust in MS, incidentally since the last lot of
umptten updates on my XP machine and others i know with W7 IE seems borked
(many sites won't load/work properly and browsing is painfully slow) I think
some of the issues seem to be caused by the recent cookie laws.
I am trying out Opera at present as it has some handy code disabling
features ;-)
But there are a couple of imortant sites that block the use of anything but
IE!
I'm on IE8, but the issues persist in IE9 so i'm not bothering to upgrade
mine yet.
Peter Boulding
2012-07-25 01:14:00 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Problem solved by rolling back the Microsoft-supplied audio driver.
Hooray!

A similar experience some years ago--in which MS Windows Update borked my
machine with a disastrous video driver update--caused me to switch off
auto-updating. Nowadays I check each offered update before accepting it.
Grimly Fiendish
2012-07-24 19:56:16 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Err, as far as i know VGA and HDMI are video only, only Scart includes
sound, i think you'll need to conect connect your audio seperately.
Err, HDMI carries linear PCM audio as well as a variety of possible video
standards. Not that either of us has helped the OP.
Right i just found this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#DDC

TMDS
Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS) on HDMI carries video,
audio and auxiliary data via one of three modes, called the Video Data
Period, the Data Island Period and the Control Period.[84] During the Video
Data Period, the pixels of an active video line are transmitted.[84] During
the Data Island period (which occurs during the horizontal and vertical
blanking intervals), audio and auxiliary data are transmitted within a
series of packets.[84] The Control Period occurs between Video and Data
Island periods

So i guess it would work *if* your equipment used it for audio, though i
suspect most would not?

What i mean is i don't think many HDMI video cards would include audio and i
don't think most TV's or Monitors would accept audio this way? Or in
otherwords just because it's available or possible doesn't necessarily mean
it is used?

Any how he sorted it now as it was nothing to do with anything like that!
Ed Cryer
2012-07-24 21:39:45 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
[...]
I've had my video-recorder connected into the TV by HDMI for years. Best
method.

Ed
Grimly Fiendish
2012-07-25 19:12:33 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
[...]
Apparently it's meant to be, Is it better than Scart ? I mean i'm sure it's
much easier than those big Scart cables, the connectors were never deep
enough and the fell out easily due to the cable weight, very poor in that
respect imo, but what about quality wise? Don't really understand the
difference apart from the fact that it can use longer cables as it's not so
lossy, but on a short cable would it make any difference, can HD use Scart?
Max Demian
2012-07-25 20:10:43 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Post by Ed Cryer
I've had my video-recorder connected into the TV by HDMI for years. Best
method.
Apparently it's meant to be, Is it better than Scart ? I mean i'm sure
it's much easier than those big Scart cables, the connectors were never
deep enough and the fell out easily due to the cable weight, very poor in
that respect imo, but what about quality wise? Don't really understand the
difference apart from the fact that it can use longer cables as it's not
so lossy, but on a short cable would it make any difference, can HD use
Scart?
Um. SCART is analogue (several flavours) and SD. HDMI is digital and HD.
Max Demian
Ed Cryer
2012-07-25 20:38:35 UTC
Post by Max Demian
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Post by Ed Cryer
I've had my video-recorder connected into the TV by HDMI for years. Best
method.
Apparently it's meant to be, Is it better than Scart ? I mean i'm sure
it's much easier than those big Scart cables, the connectors were never
deep enough and the fell out easily due to the cable weight, very poor in
that respect imo, but what about quality wise? Don't really understand the
difference apart from the fact that it can use longer cables as it's not
so lossy, but on a short cable would it make any difference, can HD use
Scart?
Um. SCART is analogue (several flavours) and SD. HDMI is digital and HD.
And HDMI carries audio too. There's just one HDMI cable into both TVs;
from DVDR and from computer.

Ed