How to get a window to open in a set position?
Cooler Dude
2013-02-10 23:53:26 UTC
To relieve boredom, I sometimes play the Windows Solitaire game.
When I start this application, the window opens towards the top
left of the screen. It suits me to move it to the centre right of
my screen.

Is there a way I can set this window to open in my preferred
position and if so, how?

Thank you in anticipation of an solution that works ;)
Cooler Dude
"a solution" ^
Grimly Fiendish
2013-02-11 01:41:07 UTC
To relieve boredom, I sometimes play the Windows Solitaire game. When I
start this application, the window opens towards the top left of the
screen. It suits me to move it to the centre right of my screen.
Is there a way I can set this window to open in my preferred position and
if so, how?
Thank you in anticipation of an solution that works ;)
It must be bad when you have to resort to that!
Unless you have changed some setting somewhere Windows (well XP at least)
always "remembers" previous window locations, so if you close it in the
position it is in it should open there next time. If it doesn't do this try
looking in the veiw settings (remember view settings?), or set back to
default.
Apparently most people are finding this no longer works in Windows 7, Are
you one of those?
mechanic
2013-02-11 10:11:31 UTC
The solitaire app for the iPad is pretty good. Just sayin'
Ed Cryer
2013-02-11 13:31:43 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Apparently most people are finding this no longer works in Windows
7, Are you one of those?
The solitaire app for the iPad is pretty good. Just sayin'
Which one? There are so many.

Ed
mechanic
2013-02-11 21:08:23 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by mechanic
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Apparently most people are finding this no longer works in Windows
7, Are you one of those?
The solitaire app for the iPad is pretty good. Just sayin'
Which one? There are so many.
The one called 'Solitaire' by MobilityWare - can't see any more ID
than that on the screen.
Cooler Dude
2013-02-11 19:29:41 UTC
Will it open in my preferred screen position on my XP desktop?
Ed Cryer
2013-02-11 13:31:13 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
To relieve boredom, I sometimes play the Windows Solitaire game. When I
start this application, the window opens towards the top left of the
screen. It suits me to move it to the centre right of my screen.
Is there a way I can set this window to open in my preferred position and
if so, how?
Thank you in anticipation of an solution that works ;)
It must be bad when you have to resort to that!
Unless you have changed some setting somewhere Windows (well XP at least)
always "remembers" previous window locations, so if you close it in the
position it is in it should open there next time. If it doesn't do this try
looking in the veiw settings (remember view settings?), or set back to
default.
Apparently most people are finding this no longer works in Windows 7, Are
you one of those?
It works on my Win7.

Ed
Cooler Dude
2013-02-11 19:28:49 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Post by Cooler Dude
To relieve boredom, I sometimes play the Windows Solitaire
game. When I start this application, the window opens towards
the top left of the screen. It suits me to move it to the
centre right of my screen. Is there a way I can set this window
to open in my preferred
position and if so, how?
Thank you in anticipation of an solution that works ;)
It must be bad when you have to resort to that!
Unless you have changed some setting somewhere Windows (well XP
at least) always "remembers" previous window locations, so if
you close it in the position it is in it should open there next
time. If it doesn't do this try looking in the veiw settings
(remember view settings?), or set back to default.
Apparently most people are finding this no longer works in
Windows 7, Are you one of those?
I'm using XP SP3. When I close the window it doesn't remember the
position and next time will open towards top left of the screen
and not where I want it.

The only "view settings" I recall relates to folder views in
Windows Explorer. Is there another "view settings"?
Grimly Fiendish
2013-02-13 09:59:22 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Post by Cooler Dude
[...]
Yes it was that i was reffering to, but the option i looked at is not ticked
on mine.
There is either a setting wrong or a registry error on your system because
it *should* remember the last window position, your folders veiw settings
may affect this, so try setting to default. If that fixes it then you can
work out by trial and error which setting is stopping it working. The other
possiblity is that you computer has been infected at some time with a virus,
or currently is, even if the virus was removed it may have *broke* something
in registry. If you Google "windows xp not remembering last window position"
there are a million and a half results, some of the first few i looked at
have some advice that might work, but i suggest you reset the veiw settings
first, no harm done if it doesn't work.
Cooler Dude
2013-02-16 20:51:32 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Post by Cooler Dude
[...]
Have set Folder view to Default but that hasn't fixed it.
I think it'll be something missing from the Registry.
I have a VERY vague recollection of copying some games (including
Solitaire?) from 98? to XP and in doing so, I've no doubt omitted
something. As the game itself works fine, I'll just learn to live
with it.

Thanks for your help.
Grimly Fiendish
2013-02-21 09:59:02 UTC
Post by Cooler Dude
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Post by Cooler Dude
[...]
What game is it? I wonder if it is full screen already when it starts? Will
the game window fill the screen?
What happens if you run the executable directly rather than using a
shortcut?
Is there a *.pif file in the executables folder?
Cooler Dude
2013-04-11 11:11:58 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
What game is it? I wonder if it is full screen already when it
starts? Will the game window fill the screen?
What happens if you run the executable directly rather than
using a shortcut?
Is there a *.pif file in the executables folder?
The game is Solitaire
I can select "Maximise" to have the window fill the screen but it
returns to the smaller size and position the next time I start the
program. If I "Move" or "Resize" the window, it always returns to
the smaller size and position the next time I start the program.
It makes no difference whether I run the executable directly or
from the shortcut.
There is no .pif file in the executable's folder.
Grimly Fiendish
2013-02-21 10:05:57 UTC
Post by Cooler Dude
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Post by Cooler Dude
[...]
Take a look at this, if you can locate your program in the registry then
this should work for any program (in particular the bit nearer the end
giving screen locations)

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/specify-window-size-and-position-shortcut-t4030669.html
Cooler Dude
2013-04-11 11:26:48 UTC
Post by Grimly Fiendish
Take a look at this, if you can locate your program in the
registry then this should work for any program (in particular
the bit nearer the end giving screen locations)
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/specify-window-size-and-position-shortcut-t4030669.html
Thanks Grim. I read the articles and tried the suggested batch
file but it didn't fix the problem.

I think it's time to let this thread die.

I appreciate your help.