freeserve.co.uk e-mail RIP
Allan
2017-05-31 10:19:12 UTC
Like they said, it's gone. Tried pop and it errors with "The POP server
is not responding appropriately, ensure that you have specified the
address of a POP server."

Tried sending an e-mail to former freeserve.co.uk address and it seemed
to get sent, but no _bounce_ (yet?, nor in junk/spam box). You'd think
they'd put a bounce/failure on all those inboxes (senders will need to
update their contacts/address books as well as the owners of the closed
e-mail account holders). Pity: not the best response (1)

Got a _letter_ from Orange this morning (31 May) telling me that Orange
Email is closing on _31 May 2017_. A bit late, me thinks. Not the best
response (2). Just as well I've seen the earlier e-mails (since Feb). I
bet there'll be some who are a bit stuck today with no e-mail...

No wonder EE (parent of Orange) got "EE and Vodafone have been rated as
the worst mobile phone providers in Which?’s annual mobile phone
customer satisfaction survey" from Which:
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/05/more-misery-for-vodafone-and-ee-mobile-phone-customers/
Grimly Fiendish
2017-06-06 19:26:46 UTC
Yes all shut now, luckily most of the email I got on those addressses (I had
three) was mostly spam as with it being a catchall system any time I bought
something or got a qoute etc. on line I used that, so for example for Royal
Mail I used rm@, I just used the companies name or some short form of it so
I knew if the passed it on to athird party and a few did, it also meant it
was easily blocked by adding say anything that was sent to rm@ to a filter.
I had use it for a few places I needed to change and I updated them they day
they turned it off, but it's going to be missed for the future so I am think
of getting a Hostanger account which has catchall email and quite cheap if
you pay for afew years.

EE are terrible, I don't know if it's changed but they had no public
customerservice team and a while ago when my wifes 2 year phone contract
ended they basically refused to cancel it, to free her from contract and to
unlock it. I got passed around from one "department" to another, but I think
it wasjustaround the sales office, each one tried to persuade her to carry
on, finally they said "this is definitely the cancellation department",
however not trusing them I cancelled the DD on the day after the last
payment for that contract ended, They tried to take it out next month ( A
renewed contract which was a month advance, plus the initial fee - around
£70, then the sent me a payment demand and I agreed to pay the £7 or so
outstanding from the last contract by card which I did and told them to get
stuufed, later they passed it to a debt agency and put her on a credit
blacklist 3 times, eventually we had to go to an EE shop to sort it out and
reached an agreement after paying around another £40, we were stil stuck
with alocked phone so instead of passing it on to her daughter we had to
sell it as a locked phone. IWe both agreed we would never go with EE
anything ever again. The other thing EE did was charged ridiclous amounts
for going over the data limit, but it was meant to be an unlimited package
(text/calls and data, but apparently they had a "fair usage policy" which
was quite unfair and quite low, I think about 6gb, instead of paying £49 a
month the contract stated for an unlimited service she ended up paying £60-
£80 some months, and they also kept increasing the cost every few months.
I'd been with Vodafone a while and was happy with the service so she went
onto Vodafone, With Vodafone it really is unlimited and the contract stays
at the contracted price, or it least it did in our case and they assured us
it would before we took out contrcats, They have a great customer service
and online help via chat which we used, the coverage is about the same as
EE, both have a few black spots in different areas, I have no issue with
Vodafone so ar and happy withthe service, with EE there is no service and no
service team, only sales. EE and Vodaphone are the only two moblie operators
in the country with good coverage o2/BT is a waste of time IMO.
Grimly Fiendish
2017-06-06 19:30:57 UTC
Incidentallly it's all :
fsnet, freeserve, orange/orangehome, and wanadoo, I had only wanadoo
addresses as the others went through lack of use/sign in and age a long time
ago.